Sr. Closer - Paralegal
200 Executive Blvd South-HF433
If you're looking for a meaningful career, you'll find it here at Webster. Founded in 1935 by Harold Webster Smith, our focus has always been to put people first--doing whatever we can to help individuals, families and businesses achieve their financial goals. And while we've grown into a leading commercial bank, we remain passionate about serving our customers, supporting our communities, and making a difference in people's lives. We can make a difference in your life, too. By empowering you to build the meaningful career you've been looking for.
Responsibility, respect, trust, teamwork and citizenship are the values on which Webster was founded. Together we call them The Webster Way, and they are what set us apart as a bank and an employer. Guided by these values, we put people first - working hard to live up to our customers, and each other, every day.
The Certified Commercial Real Estate Paralegal will be responsible for ensuring proper loan documentation and perfection of collateral for new and modified complex commercial loans in the Business Banking division. The incumbent will be responsible for supporting all aspects of the closing and post-closing processes for commercial loans assigned to them, as well as assisting on some of the more complex loans assigned to other closers within the department (both Conventional and SBA/Government Guaranteed Loans). The expectation for the position is to help deliver an industry-leading customer experience for our borrowing customers, and to work directly with Bankers and attorneys to ensure a smooth closing process. This position will require significant customer & attorney contact and will liaison with a team of Business Bankers to support new customer acquisition efforts.
- Ensure proper documentation and perfection of collateral for new and modified commercial loans.
- Work under the direction of Webster's in-house legal counsel, as well as outside Bank Counsel, to review and negotiate changes to the Bank's Standard Loan Documentation during the pre-closing, closing and post-closing processes, when the terms of the approval require non-standard loan documentation.
- Responsible for performing all aspects of the closing and post-closing processes on assigned loans and supporting other closers within the Department as necessary (both Conventional and SBA Loans).
- Responsible for reviewing title searches, title insurance, environmental reports and draft loan documents and for facilitating discussions with outside counsel related to loan terms and conditions, flood insurance coverage requirements and perfection of the Bank's security interests.
- Assist in the follow up on Missing & Pending items as part of the post-closing duties.
- Review legal invoices related to loan closings to determine adherence to Webster Bank billing policies and assist the department Manager in analyzing third party performance.
- Provide support and training to others in the Business Banking Loan Processing division as necessary.
- Adhere to Bank policies, Standard Terms and Conditions, and Bank's requirements for documentation, lien perfection and file set up.
- All responsibilities and functions will have minimal assistance of the Unit Manager and will perform all work related to legal review under the supervision of In-house Counsel. The incumbent may also be assigned other duties by the Unit manager, as needed.
- Paralegal Certificate is required
- Minimum 2 years of related experience -- Commercial loan closing experience with expertise in areas such as title work, trusts and/or specialty mortgages required
- Solid understanding of standard billing practices related to commercial loan closings
- The ability to negotiate terms within the spirit of the Credit Approval Document.
- Ability to interact and work with outside counsel in a professional manner
- Strong oral and written communication skills and computer skills, including a comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft including Excel and Word, as well as the ability to learn programs utilized by the Business Unit
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.