SMD Commercial Loan & Deposit Services
If you’re looking for a meaningful career, you’ll find it here at Webster. Founded in 1935, our focus has always been to put people first--doing whatever we can to help individuals, families, businesses and our colleagues achieve their financial goals. As a leading commercial bank, we remain passionate about serving our clients and supporting our communities. Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Agility, Respect, Excellence are Webster’s values, these set us apart as a bank and as an employer.
Come join our team where you can expand your career potential, benefit from our robust development opportunities, and enjoy meaningful work!
The SMD, Commercial Loan & Deposit Services leader for Commercial Banking will be primarily responsible for establishing a new client-centric middle office function for the Commercial Bank that supports client onboarding and servicing for all lending and deposit products. The SMD will create an optimal organization structure for the Commercial Loan Administrator (CLA) team and Deposit HUB team to maintain a consistent operating model for key account opening and servicing activities. The SMD will roll out a best-in-class process framework for his/her team to ensure the Commercial Banking organization’s growth objectives are achieved.
The role is internally focused, driving operational consistency, delivering high-quality standards for the loan administration and deposit services. The role supports strong regulatory standards while optimizing process to support a seamless client experience. The leader will collaborate closely with front line sales and portfolio management teams, in addition to the Commercial Bank’s Operations partners to deliver high quality closings and exceptional customer experiences. The role ensures commercial loan closings are complete, accurate, and in accordance with Webster Bank’s credit policies and procedures.
- Oversee and lead team of Commercial Loan Administrators and Deposit Services HUB associates, while being closely aligned to line of business leaders, Relationship Managers, Portfolio Managers, Underwriters, Operations partners, and Deposit Services partners.
- Establish service level standards, while serving as the primary "bridge" between both the Lending & Deposit Teams and Operations to serve the customer for both deposit and loan products during onboarding and servicing.
- Liaison while coordinating and working with the Lending Team, Operations, Attorneys, and Borrowers
- Oversee and ensure quality standards for KYC activities (BSA Compliance) and entity setup on appropriate loan and deposit systems.
- Oversee teams responsible for loan onboarding activities including the processing of good faith deposits, verification of third party open/paid invoices (attorney, appraiser, environmental), and reconcile debits and credits for disbursement balancing.
- Oversee teams responsible for ensuring coordination for pre-closing activities with external attorneys for new loans, modifications, extensions, and renewals.
- Monitor/coordinate insurance needs, as applicable.
- In conjunction with LOB, review draft loan documents to ensure alignment with bank policy, credit approval terms, and loan system compatibility.
- Obtain and verify funding instructions or requirements, receive clear to close from attorney, ensure all accounts are balanced, and hand off a complete closing package to Loan Operations for booking.
- Lead team of Deposit Services associates to ensure coordinate any openings or necessary online services.
- Ensure effective quality control processes and procedures are in place to support and ensure data accuracy.
- Assist PM’s if needed with follow-ups for other types of ticklers - financial statements, covenants, manual tax monitoring, etc.
- Support "lighter touch" customer requests (i.e., balance inquiries, loan statement requests, interest rate options, extensions, etc.), working with the LOB to approve and Operations to execute.
- Review advance requests and circulate for approval and submit to Loan Operations for processing.
- In alignment to bank policy and procedures, coordinate internal loan system administrative coding changes with Loan Operations
- Work on internal projects to improve the lending process, enhance/expand middle office capabilities, and support the Lines of Business & Operations
Education, Skills & Requirements:
- 10-15 Years experience leading middle office function for $10MM-$50MM+ commercial transactions within typical borrower segments (e.g., C&I, CRE, Sponsor & Specialty, ABL, etc.)
- Change agent with track record of establishing or building teams from the ground up.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills to interact with lending teams, operations partners, external attorneys, and borrowers.
- Strong team leader with proven history of attracting and retaining high performing talent.
- Strong understanding of commercial lending and deposit processes, with background in compliance & regulations, loan types/products/structures, etc.
- High confidence in reviewing and understanding legal loan documents and contract terms (paralegal experience is a plus)
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple transactions and servicing requests, simultaneously.
- Intermediate understanding of software/systems used in the end-to-end lending process (i.e., Fiserv Signature, ACBS, Loan IQ, Sageworks LOS, nCino LOS, Salesforce, etc.) and proficiency in Microsoft Applications
- Related experience with Fiserv Signature, while not required, is highly preferred.
- Business or finance background with experience in loan operations with strong understanding of accounting principles including debits, credits, balancing, amortization schedules, etc.
The estimated salary range for this position is $250,000 USD to $280,000 USD. Actual salary may vary up or down depending on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this position is eligible for incentive compensation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.