Senior Portfolio Manager
100 Franklin Street-MASU2
If you're looking for a meaningful career, you'll find it here at Webster. Founded in 1935 by Harold Webster Smith, our focus has always been to put people first--doing whatever we can to help individuals, families and businesses achieve their financial goals. And while we've grown into a leading commercial bank, we remain passionate about serving our customers, supporting our communities, and making a difference in people's lives. We can make a difference in your life, too. By empowering you to build the meaningful career you've been looking for.
Responsibility, respect, trust, teamwork and citizenship are the values on which Webster was founded. Together we call them The Webster Way, and they are what set us apart as a bank and an employer. Guided by these values, we put people first - working hard to live up to our customers, and each other, every day.
Management of a portfolio of complex commercial banking credit account relationships, including Webster Agented and Shared National Credit (SNC) relationships. Responsible for credit risk management, retention and expansion of directly assigned customer relationships including underwriting, leading loan approval discussions, coordinating loan documentation and closing new loans to existing and new customers sourced by RM Originators as assigned by Region Manager.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Prudently grow and manage an assigned portfolio of high level Commercial Banking credit account relationships, generating growth in net interest income and loan-related fee revenue; Responsible for credit risk management, retention and expansion of assigned customer relationships
- Achieve a high level of client satisfaction and customer service including periodic client meetings to respond to customer credit questions, sell appropriate credit products and services and identify cross-sell opportunities and make appropriate referrals.
- Deliver exceptional credit execution including prudent, sound and timely completion of all underwriting and portfolio management requirements within an assigned middle market portfolio;
- May direct and coordinate work of other Execution Team Relationship Managers, Portfolio Managers and Credit Analysts
- Directly negotiate credit terms with clients, underwrite loan requests, lead deal screen & loan approval discussions, and close approved credit transactions including engagement of counsel and preparation of legal documentation for loans to existing and new customers as assigned by Region Manager
- Independently produce quality underwriting documents for new/incremental business. Thoroughly identify and analyze all risks and mitigating factors, identify variances to policy/procedures and assign accurate risk grade with appropriate justifications. Ensure timely completion of renewals, annual reviews, and interim analyses.
- Work collaboratively with Risk Management on underwriting and credit approval matters
- Support a strong risk culture for Webster Bank by conducting day-to-day business in compliance with laws and regulations, internal policies and guidelines and proactively identifying, communicating, and addressing issues warranting attention.
- Meet Credit Risk Review, Audit and OCC requirements for acceptable reviews.
- Ensure that the portfolio and all deal screen memos, term sheets and underwriting documents meet all existing Bank and federal compliance requirements.
Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in finance, business, economics, accounting or other related field required
- Minimum of 6 years' experience in credit structuring and underwriting and cross selling
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency with financial statement modeling
- Strong credit skills with the capacity to evaluate strength and weakness of a wide variety of credits
- Formal credit training program preferred
- Ability to produce high quality underwriting documents with concise, well-reasoned analysis under tight time constraints
- Ability to work independently and proactively address the needs of assigned portfolio.
- Excellent interpersonal, team building and communication skills
- Thorough understanding of regulations governing financial products and services
- Proficient with Microsoft office