Lead DevOps Engineer
Date ActiveJun 6, 2022 5:25:16 PM
Hours Per Week40
Location436 Slater Road-HF308
Job Description/ Requirements
Since 1935, Webster Bank has been helping individuals, families and businesses meet their financial goals. As a leading regional bank, Webster’s strong foundation is built on our core values of responsibility, respect, teamwork, trust and commitment to our communities. Webster bankers remain our most valuable asset, and we pride ourselves on our diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment. Come join our team!
Lead DevOps Engineer oversees and leads the activities of the Digital DevOps team. This role is responsible for the automation and configuration management of the digital department’s servers and provides stable environments for delivery of quality. The Lead DevOps Engineer is responsible for the automation of all manual tasks for the building and deployment of both code and data to enable continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) frameworks. He guides more junior team members in the automation of the data pipeline from the internal database servers.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES
- The Lead DevOps Engineer is tasked with the management and development of CI/CD solutions for production applications across various sites/software. S/he spearheads the creation of new technology infrastructures and maintains configuration management and automation tools. S/he conducts training on junior DevOps engineers and other engineering teams on how to build processes where dependencies are represented clearly in code. The DevOps Engineer plays an operational role by troubleshooting issues in development systems and is also responsible for the architecture and technical leadership of the entire DevOps infrastructure. S/he enables the automation of configuration management of all development, quality assurance, and production servers as well as the automation of CI/CD.
- The Lead DevOps Engineer is tasked with the creation of software deployment strategies that allow DevOps engineers to successfully deploy sites/software in any environment. S/he is responsible for the updating of configuration management tools, code, and modules for the purpose of streamlining implementation and supportability. S/he is also responsible for implementing monitoring solutions that identify both system bottlenecks and production issues. S/he further identifies and implements data storage schemas such as clustering to maximize performance.
Design and Development:
- The DevOps Engineer oversees designing, building, and optimizing comprehensive automation systems that operate web, mobile, and data infrastructure platforms. S/he also designs scaling strategies and develops automation scripts and solutions for the purpose of streamlining, implementing, and testing sites/software. S/he additionally develops self-service solutions for the engineering department to deliver sites/software with great speed and quality.
Collaboration and Support:
- The Lead DevOps Engineer is tasked with keeping up with industry best practices and trends on behalf of the Digital DevOps team and the larger IT department. S/he conducts research, tests, and implements new metrics collection systems that can be reused and applied to any site/software development project.
- The Lead DevOps Engineer also performs other duties as delegated by the Director of Digital Delivery, Chief Architect, Chief Technology Officer, or the Employer.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or any other relevant field. An equivalent of the same in working experience is also acceptable for this position.
- A candidate for this position must have had at least 5 years of working experience in a DevOps capacity, preferably as a DevOps Engineer. The candidate must also have had experience automating the managing large-scale infrastructure, working knowledge of enterprise data center technologies including storage platforms, network switching, and security infrastructure within a virtualized data center, and have significant familiarity with “infrastructure as code” software tools (AWS CloudFormation, Terraform). The candidate will have had vast experience in systems automation, orchestration, deployment, and implementation.
- S/he will have had experience using Jenkins and Linux as well as experience configuring and automating monitoring tools. The candidate must similarly demonstrate experience in software development and experience working with tools and languages such as PostgreSQL, SaaS, Git, Python, Shell scripting, Java, and Oracle. S/he will further have had experience with highly scalable systems, inclusive of frontend and backend websites tiers. S/he will additionally have had a keen understanding of monitoring solutions for all layers of web infrastructure.
- A candidate for this position will need to have exceptional communication skills that allow him/her to effectively execute supervisory duties to the junior DevOps team members. Good communication skills in this case will guarantee that s/he clearly conveys information and instructions in a clear manner, which will in turn determine the performance of the junior team members. S/he will also need good communication skills in collaboration leading to more efficient execution of duties across the IT department and the business.
- A candidate for this position must be technologically adept and have demonstrated skills in computer networks, software automation and scaling distributed systems. The candidate must have a comprehensive understanding of AWS Cloud Platforms and SOA, and be highly familiar with AWS offerings (EBS, S3, EC2, Elastic IP, Route 53, VPC), infrastructure-as-code (AWS Cloud Formation, Terraform), Java Spring Boot, React/NodeJS, and PostgreSQL databases. S/he will also have exceptionally good scripting skills through Python, Shell, and Ruby.
- The candidate must also have worked with monitoring tools such as AppDynamics, Nagios and NewRelic. The candidate must be skilled in the configuration, maintenance, and securing of Linux systems as well as skill in scripting languages such as Shell and Ruby. He will also need to have skills in infrastructure automation tools, for example, Chef, Ansible, and so forth.
- A candidate for this position must be a result-oriented individual, be helpful in nature, be self-motivated, be proactive going beyond the call of duty, be a creative and strategic thinker, be highly analytical, work comfortably in a constantly evolving environment, work comfortably in a collaborative environment, have an ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines, and have an ability to remain calm in the face of uncertainty and stress.
- A candidate for this position must also be a people person who is able to form strong and meaningful relationships with other people. S/he will be an approachable individual who inspires trust and confidence in his juniors, seniors, and in collaborating personnel who then readily follow in his/her insights, judgments, and directives.