IT FinOps Analyst
Date ActiveJun 27, 2022 9:40:14 AM
Hours Per Week40
LocationRemote - Nationwide
Job Description/ Requirements
If you’re looking for a meaningful career, you’ll find it here at Webster. Founded in 1935, our focus has always been to put people first--doing whatever we can to help individuals, families, businesses and our colleagues achieve their financial goals. As a leading commercial bank, we remain passionate about serving our clients and supporting our communities. Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Agility, Respect, Excellence are Webster’s values, these set us apart as a bank and as an employer.
Come join our team where you can expand your career potential, benefit from our robust development opportunities, and enjoy meaningful work!
The IT FinOps Analyst will be responsible for monitoring, reporting on, and forecasting the cost of running our cloud infrastructure and service platforms. This role is also responsible for ensuring that Webster can optimize the value of each dollar spent on cloud services. By continuously improving the cloud cost controls and optimization awareness capabilities this analyst will help drive a culture of accountability for cloud spend throughout the bank.
- Established knowledge of the cloud FinOps function to successfully manage and deliver the capability within Webster.
- Drive change and deliver results that are immediate to short-term, and implement decisions that will impact cloud use across stakeholders.
- Translate difficult/complex financial and utilization data into actionable plans, with measurable outcomes
- Responsible for monitoring, reporting on, and forecasting the cost of running our cloud infrastructure and service platforms
- Working closely with other teams, you will dive into usage patterns and forecasts to align our budgeted expectations with reality. Develop regular forecasts and budgets and perform budget variance analysis
- Predict, plan, and manage resource utilization to estimate future needs, and to negotiate committed-spend discounts.
- Responsible for centralizing pricing strategies to optimize spend across share workloads.
- Suggest areas for improving spend by finding better rates or improved technology.
- Find anomalies in usage patterns and give quick feedback to course correct. Enable workload owners to be alerted in proactive means with anomalies and threshold reporting.
- Understand the relevance of monitoring and measuring to identify areas for improvement.
- Assist in architectural designs and decisions.
- Use real-time data and tools to predict and optimize costs.
- Create and implement actionable plans for the highest cost/highest opportunity applications or workloads, working with application and portfolio leads to drive savings.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance around architectural best practices that help elevate Cost Optimization as a pillar of the Well-Architected Framework.
- Influence and help achieve our enterprise cost efficiency strategy. Implement standards, controls, and best practices. Govern and monitor adherence to these practices.
- Synthesizing of analysis and research into strategic insights and practical recommendations.
- Unique ability to bridge finance and technology based on utilization.
- Efficiency driven - Automating everything you can when it contributes to efficiency and value
Experience & Skills:
- 6+ years of work experience with 2+ years of experience related to cloud or IT financial management
- Data-driven and detail-oriented, testing and measuring every step
- Up to date on the latest cloud products and trends
- Able to consolidate several streams of information to see the big picture
- Curious about every detail and strive to fully understand the basis for your data
- Intimate familiarity with cost structure of AWS products and services
- Familiar with other cloud service providers, such as GCP and Azure
- Real-world experience with BI and/or cost-tracking tools, such as Tableau or AWS QuickSight – preferred
- A passion to drive cost savings strategies
- Ability to adequately discuss technical issues with technicians, engineers, architects and vendors
- Hands on experience developing API’s, UI’s, scripts and automation creation – preferred
- Hands on cloud experience (AWS, Azure etc)
- Strong collaborative mindset
- Previous cloud certifications - Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure Certification – preferred
- Basic knowledge of AWS Cloud services, Cost Explorer, and AWS billing semantics (CUR report, AWS Invoice process, Reserved Instances, Savings Plans...etc)