Community Liaison Officer
If you’re looking for a meaningful career, you’ll find it here at Webster. Founded in 1935, our focus has always been to put people first--doing whatever we can to help individuals, families, businesses and our colleagues achieve their financial goals. As a leading commercial bank, we remain passionate about serving our clients and supporting our communities. Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Agility, Respect, Excellence are Webster’s values, these set us apart as a bank and as an employer.
Come join our team where you can expand your career potential, benefit from our robust development opportunities, and enjoy meaningful work!
Community Liaison Officer (CLO)
Community Liaison Officer (CLO) is responsible for networking with external referral sources to serve as an in-market liaison between the Bank and the community. The CLO will develop and leverage community ties to educate prospects and clients on a variety of topics including pathways to homeownership and bank products and services. External clients would include, but not be limited to, community-based groups/non-profits (e.g., CDCLI, CHI, NHS, Smart Move, Chamber of Commerce, Neighborhood Housing, etc.), charitable organizations, realtors, builders, attorneys, financial planners, Bank at Work partners, etc. The CLO would advise Senior Management of emerging Community Reinvestment Act ("CRA") trends to ensure objectives are met and will serve as a liaison to the Bank’s Corporate Responsibility Group and the Fair Lending Task Force, as appropriate.
Dedicate 50% of time to the following community outreach activities in an assigned market area comprising all or a portion of one or more metropolitan statistical area(s):
- Establish, foster, and maintain network of strong relationships with community-based, charitable, and non-profit organizations
- Conduct first -time homebuyer education classes as well as one-on-one coaching sessions to prepare and enable prospects and customers for loan program eligibility
- Conduct financial literacy workshops in conjunction with community-based, charitable and non-profit organizations
- Maintain relationships with assigned CRA Advisory Council members with a focus on members that offer education and pathways toward homeownership
- Participate in non-profit community events and activities; educate prospects, clients, and members on Bank products and services
- In concert with Corporate Responsibility Group, offer Webster resources to assist local non-profits, including financial grant support
- Serve on non-profit boards; donate time through volunteer hours to local non-profits
- Recommend unique opportunities to Senior Management to offer Webster products and services within the communities served
- Assist in the development of marketing plans to increase lending opportunities
- Participate in professional organizations to stay abreast of industry trends, add value to organization, as well as develop external relationships and referral sources.
- Partner with Consumer Banking Leadership Team, the CRA/FL Compliance Manager, the Fair Lending Task Force Team, and the Product Administration Affordable Housing Liaison to recommend modifications to existing products and services to better meet community and bank needs.
Dedicate 50% of time to the following residential lending activities in an assigned market area comprising all or a portion of one or more metropolitan statistical area(s):
- Leverage above activities as well as standard referral sources such as personal and professional network, including banking centers, to originate residential mortgage and consumer loans, primarily from LMI/HMG borrowers (minimum of 75% of business originated meets the LMI/HMG requirements of the bank). Lending activities to focus on residential first-time homeownership and home improvement.
- Educate potential loan applicants thoroughly and make appropriate product recommendations to meet prospect / client needs.
- Structure loans to meet the bank’s lending guidelines and risk appetite.
- Identify and leverage down payment and closing cost assistance programs to help increase available first-time homeownership opportunities.
- Develop, deliver and update homebuying pre-approvals as needed.
- Maintain an acceptable application to closing ratio.
- Assist applicants through the entire loan process.
- Identify and refer prospects /clients to bank partners for additional products and services, as appropriate.
- Act as an advocate for the customer, making logical decisions that balance customer needs with Webster objectives.
- Ask discovery questions to determine customer needs.
- Calculate loan-to-values, consider credit and debt to income positions as well as compare a variety of products, programs, and pricing; make appropriate recommendations to customers.
- Serve as the main point of contact for customers from loan application to closing for customers.
- Comply with all regulatory compliance requirements.
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with peers and business partners.
- Manage time appropriately each day; follow up with customers and contacts; meet deadlines consistently.
- High School / GED required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- 3 - 5 years of experience of loan origination / sales and service experience
- Experience supporting LMI/HMG groups preferred
- Bi-lingual candidates with fluency in Spanish a plus
Job Skills / Knowledge:
- Must have a minimum of three years of mortgage loan origination experience.
- Ability to negotiate and discuss a variety of mortgage scenarios and follow through with appropriate recommendation for customer based on credit, estimated home value, income and other factors.
- Ability to generate and manage large volumes of prospects and clients (50+ sources and 10+ loans managed in pipeline at any given time).
- Creativity in structuring loan deals.
- Ability to influence and negotiate with customers and business partners.
- Demonstrate time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Active listening skills, with the ability to provide superior service.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- Ability to travel locally
- 50% of time will be spent in-market meeting with prospects and clients in person, remaining 50% of time may be spent in local corporate office or home office location.
The estimated salary range for this position is $60,000 to $63,000 USD. Actual salary may vary up or down depending on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this position is eligible for incentive compensation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.