Assoc, Legal Processing
If you’re looking for a meaningful career, you’ll find it here at Webster. Founded in 1935, our focus has always been to put people first--doing whatever we can to help individuals, families, businesses and our colleagues achieve their financial goals. As a leading commercial bank, we remain passionate about serving our clients and supporting our communities. Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Agility, Respect, Excellence are Webster’s values, these set us apart as a bank and as an employer.
Come join our team where you can expand your career potential, benefit from our robust development opportunities, and enjoy meaningful work!
The Associate, Legal Processing position is responsible for processing legal orders that require the bank to remove or hold funds in an account.
Areas of accountability include:
Reviewing bank garnishments and following the applicable state law for each document to determine exempt funds and payout date. Review court documentation and restrict funds for probate restricted accounts. In this position, you will process legal documents received such as executions, restraining orders, tax levies and judgments daily. Additionally, you will place the necessary holds on accounts, complete and return legal documents to federal, state and law offices. Processing of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin documents required. *Significant paper handling involved in CT location.
- Review all legal documentation to determine any relationships with Webster Bank. If no record, no account, or no funds, return to the proper serving entity (if applicable)
- Process legal documents served on Webster Bank, N.A. and establish files for each case.
- Perform account review to determine whether account has exempt funds and understand account relationship codes.
- Apply exempt funds amount according to Federal/State law; create letter(s). Send letter and a copy of the legal notice received (if applicable) to the client informing of the hold and fee assessed to the account.
- State of New York: accounts held jointly, with someone who is not named a judgement debtor a Turnover Order letter is sent to the Judgment Creditor.
- When funds are restricted/held and/or moved into a GL, create letter(s) to inform client of holds placed on the account. (NY, MA, RI, WI, CT clients).
- Process applicable releases and conditional releases received from serving entities.
- Process payouts by completing check requests. Mail the checks to the proper serving entities i.e., State Marshals, Sheriff/Marshal, State Agencies, and/or the IRS, according to demand type.
- Ensure compliance with all state laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Complete post judgment remedies and information subpoenas accurately, if applicable and returning back to the requestor’s office within the appropriate timeframes.
- Review probate documentation from CT courts and restrict funds for probate restricted accounts.
- Process and bundle mail; verify ownership, and forward legal documents to the proper Lines of Business.
- Maintain daily production levels to meet goals set by department manager.
- In cases where there is a legal question, seek guidance of Manager for clarification.
- Review work to ensure accuracy, consistency, and verifiability to ensure compliance with all regulations, policies and procedures.
- Stay apprised of Federal Garnishment rules and current applicable state garnishment rules.
- Answer inquiries by phone and email pertaining to documents processed.
- Scan and upload all documents to Nautilus (applicable for all documents)
- Perform additional duties as required by Management.
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 1-2 years of general work experience (i.e., clerical, office work, working with customers, work study jobs, etc.).
- Banking experience a plus
- Legal experience a plus
- Knowledge of laws that apply for each state within Webster Bank’s footprint.
- Work with time constraints and under pressure in some situations
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, be proactive, self-motivated with excellent organizational skills and possess the ability to work under pressure, manage priorities, handle multiple tasks with tight deadlines and work well in team environments.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of Nautilus system is a plus.
This position is not a remote or hybrid position, it will be based in our Southington office.
The estimated salary range for this position is $50,000 USD to $60,000 USD. Actual salary may vary up or down depending on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this position is eligible for incentive compensation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.