SVP, Director of Accounting Policy & External Reporting
Date ActiveDec 9, 2021 3:01:49 PM
Hours Per Week40
Location200 Elm Street-FF200
Job Description/ Requirements
Since 1935, Webster Bank has been helping individuals, families and businesses meet their financial goals. As a leading regional bank, Webster’s strong foundation is built on our core values of responsibility, respect, teamwork, trust and commitment to our communities. Webster bankers remain our most valuable asset, and we pride ourselves on our diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment. Come join our team!
The SVP and Director of Accounting Policy and External Reporting will be responsible for the firm's accounting policies and practices and external financial reporting. This role will be responsible for the research, interpretation, and application of current and pending accounting standards to determine proper treatment under US GAAP. This role will also be responsible for the preparation and completion of external financial reporting such as the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings (e.g., 10-Ks, 10Qs, etc.) and bank regulatory reporting (e.g., call reports, FRY 9-Cs, etc.).
This person will monitor and proactively play a leadership role, internally and externally, in new potential accounting guidance and/or financial reporting and disclosure requirements and in the assessment of their implication on the firm and broader industry. He/she is responsible for maintaining oversight of the adoption and compliance with any new accounting policies and will ensure the accuracy and completeness of SEC and other regulatory filings.
This person will also be an important business partner with deal teams and senior executives on new business transactions and other opportunities to ensure appropriate consideration of technical accounting ramifications and impact on the firm's financial statements; regulatory capital and reporting; and related disclosures.
Moreover, this person will work with key stakeholders to ensure accounting and financial reporting processes risks have been identified, assessed and documented in accordance with SOX requirements. This includes assisting with risk control analyses, process flows and matrices necessary to support management's internal control actions, particularly in connection with key accounting estimates.
The position will lead and manage the accounting policy, SEC reporting and regulatory reporting teams, and will report to the organization's Chief Accounting Officer.
- Responsible the firm's accounting policies and practices including developing consistent and reliable policies and procedures to prevent accounting risks from developing. Present new accounting policies and changes to the organization's critical accounting policies to executive management and the Board as necessary.
- Responsible for the preparation, review and filing of quarterly and annual SEC and bank regulatory reports to ensure appropriate disclosures are made in accordance with US GAAP and regulatory disclosure rules and requirements.
- Manage the processes and internal controls associated with the identification, research, documentation, communication and implementation of proposed and new accounting standards (both technical and operational accounting considerations). Lead implementation efforts for new accounting standards.
- Serve as the organization's technical accounting expert; review allowance for credit losses methodologies under CECL, lead asset impairment reviews including goodwill, etc.
- Provide technical position papers, research and memos for the organization in connection with all significant non-routine transactions as well as any new products and services while managing the technical team.
- Lead internal control activities impacting technical accounting and financial reporting particularly on significant accounting estimates to ensure SOX 404 compliance
- Monitor current accounting and regulatory developments and providing updates to senior management on the impact that new developments may have on the organization.
- Consult with business units and other stakeholders on technical accounting matters and the application and development of accounting policies. Ensure all new products and services are US GAAP complaint.
- Provide training to management and staff on accounting policies. Manage and develop accounting policy and external reporting staff
- Assist in representing the organization externally on matters affiliated with accounting policies and external reporting by taking active part in industry-wide relationships and associated organizational meetings
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and CPA required
- Public accounting foundation -- 3-5 years of "Big 4" or National accounting firm experience, preferably with a financial services or banking focus.
- Financial Services industry experience - 10-plus years of proven accounting experience in a supervisory capacity in a financial services company.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of management.
Work Location: Position can be based out of Stamford, CT or Waterbury, CT with expectation of periodic travel to alternate location(s) for team and business connections.