Two Stamford Plaza-FF773
If you're looking for a meaningful career, you'll find it here at Webster. Founded in 1935 by Harold Webster Smith, our focus has always been to put people first--doing whatever we can to help individuals, families and businesses achieve their financial goals. And while we've grown into a leading commercial bank, we remain passionate about serving our customers, supporting our communities, and making a difference in people's lives. We can make a difference in your life, too. By empowering you to build the meaningful career you've been looking for.
Responsibility, respect, trust, teamwork and citizenship are the values on which Webster was founded. Together we call them The Webster Way, and they are what set us apart as a bank and an employer. Guided by these values, we put people first - working hard to live up to our customers, and each other, every day.
As an Associate for Webster Bank's Sponsor and Specialty Finance team, you will conduct financial and business due diligence primarily on healthcare services companies to determine the credit worthiness of prospective borrowers. You will also manage the financial performance of a dedicated portfolio of accounts. Potential candidates at this level are typically building upon the skills required to close and manage leveraged loan transactions and have a higher level of responsibility under minimal supervision. You will be a meaningful contributor and assume increasing levels of responsibility with underwriting, managing accounts and referral source relationships.
Key responsibilities include cash flow modeling, financial analysis, and company & industry research. Associates prepare internal credit memos and will have the opportunity to present the underwriting diligence and portfolio management results to an investment committee. There is opportunity for increased responsibility as the Associate progresses from updating portfolio memos and analyzing financial statements to eventually leading client interactions and assisting in developing solutions that maximize outcomes for Webster Bank.
Throughout the underwriting and portfolio management processes the Associate will interact with multiple stakeholders and have the opportunity to teach and mentor junior deal team members. You will interact with sponsor coverage teams, credit professionals, capital markets, private equity sponsors, company management, and investment bankers, as well as legal counsel, loan closers and operations personnel.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics, or equivalent work experience.
- 3-5 years' experience in leveraged finance at a commercial bank, investment bank, or transaction advisory firm with strong commercial credit experience.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency with financial statement modeling.
- Experience underwriting middle market sponsored transactions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with little to no supervision.
- Experience in middle market healthcare services is highly preferred, but not required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance, business or related discipline. MBA considered a plus.
- Graduate of a formalized credit training program.
- Received or working towards either CFA or CPA professional certifications.
- Exposure / experience with the credit agreements / legal documentation of leveraged loans.
Webster Bank Overview
Webster Financial Corporation is the holding company for Webster Bank, National Association. With $25.1 billion in assets, Webster provides business and consumer banking, mortgage, financial planning, trust, and investment services through 176 banking centers and 349 ATMs. Webster also provides telephone banking, mobile banking, and Internet banking. Webster Bank owns the asset-based lending firm Webster Business Credit Corporation; the equipment finance firm Webster Capital Finance Corporation; and HSA Bank, a division of Webster Bank, which provides health savings account trustee and administrative services. Webster Bank is a member of the FDIC and an equal housing lender. For more information about Webster, including past press releases and the latest annual report, visit the Webster website at www.websterbank.com.
Business Unit Overview
Webster Sponsor and Specialty Finance provides customized secured commercial loans to middle-market companies, typically backed by private equity capital. Our loans are used by clients to facilitate acquisitions, fund working capital, finance growth/capital expenditures, and restructurings. Sponsor and Specialty Finance focuses on general commercial industries but also has dedicated specialty lending teams that cover healthcare, technology, media and franchise businesses. We are headquartered in Boston, MA and have offices in CT and NY.